Build your own pizza night has become a Friday Night family fave! Paired with our go-to games (Yahtzee or 21, usually) homemade pizza hits the spot! We’ve been experimenting with different crusts and toppings lately and I wanted to share our favorites with you…
Can’t go wrong with mozzarella, tomato, and pepperoni toppings, but we also like to create unique combos!
Since we love bacon wrapped dates I wanted to bring that flavor profile to pizza night. I’ve partnered with Natural Delights Medjool Dates to include a touch of sweetness! Crispy bacon, goat cheese, arugula, and caramelized onions and dates make this pizza burst with flavor. Sweet + savory mingle deliciously in this pie, you’ll definitely want to give it a try!
It was fantastic paired with The Resident Zinfandel, one of my favorite organic, clean crafted red wines! It’s medium bodied, bold, and fruity (with just 0.5 g/L residual sugar). Another one to try with pizza is Gallivant Zinfandel (full bodied, bold, fruity also 0.5 g/L residual sugar). Click here to learn more about Clean Crafted Wine shipped to your door (!)…
Bacon, Date, and Arugula Pizza
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 Natural Delights Medjool pitted dates (chopped)
- 1 yellow onion (sliced into 1/4 in rings)
- 4-5 slices bacon (cut into small strips)
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- I large or 2 small frozen pizza crusts (I used Cappello’s Gluten Free Crust)
- 1/2 to 1 cup Goat Cheese crumbles (feta works well too)
- 1 cup Arugula
Make the Crispy Oven Bacon
- Cut strips of bacon into strips and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Set oven to 350 and place baking sheet with bacon in the oven (you don’t have to wait for it to preheat)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain/cool.
Make the Caramelized Onion + Date Topping (while bacon is cooking)
- Heat butter and oil in a saucepan
- Add onions and toss with oil and butter over medium heat for several minutes.
- Once the onions soften add the chopped dates to mixture and stir until coated. Keep heat on low/medium.
- After a couple of minutes, stir the onion/date mixture and add the balsamic vinegar.
- Keep an eye on the mixture, stirring often to incorporate for about 4-5 minutes. You want the mixture to continue to soften, but not get sticky.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
Make the Pizza!
- Place your crust on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the onion/date mixture on the crust
- Add goat cheese, bacon, and pepitas
- Bake for the amount of time specified for your pizza crust
- Remove the pizza from oven and top with a generous handful of arugula
- Allow the arugula to wilt a couple of minutes and then slice/serve.
Pizza Night Family Favorites!
Crust Matters: A few of our favorite frozen finds are: Cappello’s Gluten Free Naked Crust, Earthbound Farm Organic Mini Cauliflower Pizza Crusts, Trader Joe’s Organic Whole Wheat Crust, Caulipower Cauliflower Crust
So Cheesy: Organic Mozzarella, Goat Cheese crumbles, Feta cheese, and parmesan to top are all great options, as is a totally cheese free pie!
Tasty Toppings: Anything goes here but a few of our favorites are green chile, bacon, caramelized onions/dates, mushrooms, black or kalamata olives, pepitas, pepperoni, sausage, tomatoes, grilled chicken, walnuts, spinach, arugula, artichoke hearts…
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!
This post is sponsored by Natural Delights. Recipe and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Loubies and Lulu!