After sharing this recipe a bunch of times on instagram lately, it was time for a permanent post!
I make this weekly for our family, sometimes twice in a week if I’m bringing breakfast to a gathering. It’s the easiest breakfast casserole recipe because you can customize it to fit your tastes or whatever you have in the fridge!
It’s a great heat and eat solution for busy lifestyles or when you need something delicious and healthy to feed a group. I always volunteer to make it the morning after Thanksgiving and when I serve at church, to start our day on a healthy note! The basic recipe is below but feel free to sub in other veggies or proteins to keep it interesting…
Whole30 Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tbsp ghee (melted to coat the pan)
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes or white potatoes (diced)
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 12 eggs whisked
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lb breakfast sausage (I like Whole Foods 365 Mild Pork or Chicken Italian Sausage, both Whole30 compliant, or Applegate Sweet Italian or Spicy Red Bell Pepper Chicken Sausages, chopped (or make your own using 1 lb ground pork, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. paprika, ½ tsp. lightly crushed dried fennel, ½ tsp. garlic powder)
- (optional, if you like spicy!) 1/4 c chopped green chile (I like Bueno Foods New Mexico Hatch Autumn Roast or Medium Green Chile, found in freezer section, or order online)
- Preheat oven to 400 and lightly brush the baking dish with melted ghee.
- Spread the the potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet, lightly toss with avocado oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin and bake for 25-30 mins until soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sauté the onion and sausage (until no longer pink)
- Transfer potatoes to the baking dish, add sausage mixture, and top with zucchini, spinach, green chile, and garlic powder
- Whisk eggs and pour over ingredients in baking dish. Stir until well combined.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until middle of casserole is “set.”
- Enjoy with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea. Berries and avocado slices are great sides to serve alongside this casserole!
I hope this recipe comes in handy for you as much as it has for me! If you make it let me know what you think or which fun variations you try, and if you like it please pin it to share the love…
Thanks for stopping by! xx