It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with Buffalo Chicken Dip! I’ve pretty much memorized this iconic recipe from The Defined Dish, and it’s a favorite to make for my family or when we have friends over. When Pure Flavor asked me to create a recipe with their Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Peppers, I knew the buffalo flavor of this dip would be the perfect pairing!
Our family loves stuffed peppers so I thought why not create a super easy Buffalo Chicken Pepper Popper appetizer recipe?! Bite-sized and naturally sweet, Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Peppers are vibrant little vessels for spicy buffalo chicken. To amp up the savory factor, I added crispy bacon…yum!
This recipe is simple to make and family friendly. Heck, get your kids involved in the prep, stuffing the peppers! Customize the spiciness to suit your tastes. If your family is sensitive, go with a mild sauce. But if you can take the heat, try a “medium” or “hot” variety. This recipe makes a great Whole30 app if the mayo. bacon, and buffalo sauce are compliant. I used The New Primal Buffalo Sauce, Pederson’s Farm Sugar Free Bacon, and Primal Kitchen Mayo, all Whole30 approved!
Because the stuffed peppers need to be chilled before baked or grilled, they can be prepped ahead of time and quickly cooked right before you’re ready to eat…see more of my tips in the recipe below.Print
5 Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Poppers
Easy, Family Friendly Whole30 Pepper Popper Appetizer
- Category: Appetizer
- 6 strips bacon (cut into 1/4 inch strips)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use rotisserie or put chicken breasts in crockpot overnight)
- 1/2 cup mayo (I use Primal Kitchen Mayo or homemade)
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I use The New Primal Mild or Medium Buffalo Sauce, or Frank’s Red Hot)
- 24 Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Peppers (varying sizes)
Make Oven Bacon:
- Place the cut bacon on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. No need to preheat oven. Set temp to 350, place bacon in oven, and bake for 20 minutes. While bacon is cooking, prep the peppers.
- Check for crispiness, remove baking sheet from oven when done.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
Prep the Peppers:
- Slice about 1/3 off the top (lengthwise) of each pepper to create a little “boat” to hold the filling. (Tip: slice the side of the pepper that’s rounded so the pepper will sit more securely on it’s flat side on the pan or grill.)
- Remove the seeds, leaving the stem intact
Prep the Filling
- Combine the shredded chicken, crispy bacon, mayo, and buffalo sauce in a large bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together until well coated.
Stuff the Peppers:
- Set oven to 425.
- Using a small spoon or fork, fill each pepper with the chicken mixture. You want the peppers to be full but not overflowing. Set the peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet, about an inch apart.
- Once all peppers are filled set the baking sheet in refrigerator to chill/set for 1 hour (or more) or in the freezer for 20 minutes. You can cover lightly with cling wrap or wax paper.
- When they’re ready, place the peppers in the oven and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes. Once you can see the mixture start to lightly bubble, they’re done. I like them to be a little “roasty!”
- As soon they’re cool enough to handle, set on a platter and serve! I like to sprinkle fresh cilantro on then before serving. Enjoy!
For grilled peppers, heat grill to medium heat, place peppers on grill for 5-7 mins.
This recipe can be halved for a smaller quantity.
Peppers can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to cook!
Peppers can vary in size! If you have any filling left over transfer into a small baking dish or oven safe ramekin to bake, and serve as a dip.
Keywords: paleo, whole30
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!
Photography: Kristen Massad
This post is sponsored by Pure Flavor. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Loubies and Lulu!