If you follow me on instagram, you know about my bike shorts obsession!
I thought I’d pass on the trend, but I’m so glad I took the plunge. After seeing the options/lengths/ways to style while browsing lululemon, I ordered a pair a few weeks ago “just to see” if I liked them. Once I slipped them on, I realized they’re the perfect summer alternative to leggings!
A few of my favorite 6 – 8 inch styles:
My “essentials” for finding a pair of bike shorts you love:
For reference, I’m 5’2″, have a short torso, and I took my usual lulu legging size. In these photos I’m wearing the 6 inch lululemon Aligns in embossed black. Hope this helps you find a pair you love too! I recommend trying on a few pairs and going with what you love on YOU. (Shop my top picks below!)
- Lengthwise, the 6 inch and 8 inch inseam are my personal favorite overall. 4in inseam was too short (for my liking) and 10 was too long (hit the top of my kneecap.
- I liked the lululemon Align 6 inch and 8 inch bike shorts best! I also liked the Wunder Train shorts but found they had a tighter fit, would suggest sizing up for comfort.
- Wunder Trains (made with everlux fabric) are more compressive than Align shorts (made with nulu fabric). Apparently I’m not the only one who loves Align shorts…they sell out in store and online often so if you see a pair in your size/color, be sure to snag them!
- Must be HIGH waisted. I like to wear cropped/boxy tops (tanks, tees) with them and I think the proportion looks great. A long cardigan or hoodie looks super cute as an added layer for chilly days.
- Not (too) compressive! A little compression is good, too much was not comfortable around the leg openings/thigh area…
My approach to styling bike shorts: pair them with the same tops I’d wear with high rise leggings…
Great for wearing casually or to/from a workout! Style shown is older but I linked a similar option…
Quick dry fabric for sweaty summer workouts. Also available in a sweat wicking short sleeve and long sleeve.
Graphic Tee or Tank-
With shirt tied around waist for contrast (and coverage). This was a tee but I chopped it into a tank!
Cropped Cotton T Shirt-
Love this super soft style with jeans too!
Boxy Cropped Hoodie
This style shown is older but my current obsession is the the lululemon cropped scuba hoodie and this Target hoodie! Both are the perfect boxy/cropped length!
A few more bike short styling tips:
- Have fun with shoe options! I love them with Birks, Tevas, casual sneakers like Vans, Veja, and GGDB, and running sneakers…linked all below!
- Be cautious with oversized tops if you’re short as they can overwhelm! I tried on an oversized hoodie and wasn’t a fan. Too bulky. I’ve seen it look really cute on others though! But a long, slightly oversized graphic tee was cute! I’ve also seen them styled with chic off shoulder longer drapey tees. Totally depends on your preference…
- If you’re wearing a cropped or shorter top, tying a shirt around your waist or adding a long cardigan or zip up hoodie is an easy way to add more coverage to take the look from workout to errands!
Are you a bike shorts fan too? What’s your favorite way to wear them? Shop my favorites below by clicking on the photos…
Thanks for stopping by…have a great day! xx