If you follow me on instagram, you know about my bike shorts obsession!
I thought I’d pass on the trend, but I’m so glad I took the plunge. After seeing the options/lengths/ways to style while browsing lululemon, I ordered a pair a few weeks ago “just to see” if I liked them. Once I slipped them on, I realized they’re the perfect summer alternative to leggings!
After trying on several styles these are my “essentials” for finding a pair of bikers that work for me.
For reference, I’m 5’2″, have a short torso, and I took my usual legging size. In these photos I’m wearing the 6 inch lululemon Aligns in embossed black. Hope this helps you find a pair you love too! I recommend trying on a few pairs and going with what you love on YOU. (Shop my top picks below!)
- 6 in inseam length (at least!) were my favorite. 4in inseam was too short (for my liking) and 10 was too long (hit the top of my kneecap. But 7, 8, and 9 in are good options too! I liked the lululemon Align 6 inch and 8 inch bike shorts best, and Wunder Train shorts a close second. Wunder Trains (made with everlux fabric) are more compressive than Align shorts (made with nulu fabric). Apparently I’m not the only one who loves Align shorts…they sell out weekly in store and online so if you see a pair in your size/color, be sure to snag them!
- Must be HIGH waisted. I like to wear cropped/boxy tops (tanks, tees) with them and I think the proportion looks great. A long cardigan or hoodie looks super cute as an added layer for chilly days.
- Not (too) compressive! A little compression is good, too much was not comfortable around the leg openings…
A few of my favorite 6 – 8 inch styles:
My approach to styling bike shorts is pairing them with the same tops I’d wear with high waist leggings…
Cropped Sweatshirt- Great for wearing casually or to/from a workout!
Muscle Tank- Quick dry fabric for sweaty summer workouts.
Graphic Tee or Tank- With shirt tied around waist for contrast (and coverage). This was a tee but I chopped it into a tank!
Cropped Tee- Love this super soft style with jeans too!
Boxy Hoodie- This sweatshirt has chic fringe trim (matching shorts also available)!
A few more styling tips:
- Have fun with shoe options! I loved them with Birks, Tevas, casual sneakers like Vans and GGDB, and running sneakers…
- Be cautious with oversized tops if you’re short as they can overwhelm! I tried on an oversized hoodie and wasn’t a fan. Too bulky. I’ve seen it look really cute on others though! But a long, slightly oversized graphic tee was cute! I’ve also seen them styled with chic off shoulder longer drapey tees (my friend Steph rocks this look!) Totally depends on your preference…
- If you’re wearing a cropped or shorter top, tying a shirt around your waist is an easy way to take the look from workout to errands!
Are you a bike shorts fan too? What’s your favorite way to wear them? Shop my favorites below by clicking on the photos…
Thanks for stopping by…have a great day! xx