New Mexico Red Chile (Whole30 Compliant)
Traditional NM Red Chile sauce recipe, recreated to be gluten free/Whole30 friendly!
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 container (14 oz) Bueno Red Chile (frozen chile puree, thawed) or 6 tbsp New Mexico Red Chile Powder (only ingredient should be "chile" or "chile pods"
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Flour
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup water (to make the slurry)
- 1 1/2 cup water (to make sauce)
Add oil to saucepan or pot, medium heat
Add diced onion and sautee until onion is translucent
Add minced garlic and lightly sautee
Add ground beef and salt to pot and cook through
While beef is cooking whisk/combine the arrowroot flour and 1/4 cup water to create a slurry, set aside.
Add the thawed red chile puree OR red chile powder to the pot and stir well
Fill the red chile container with water or 1 3/4 c water and add to pot.
Stir, and then add the slurry to the mixture, stir again to combine.
Bring to a soft boil, stir, then set heat to low and allow to simmer (not boil) at least 20 minutes.
Enjoy the spicy, savory flavor on eggs, meats, veggies and more!
You can also make this recipe without meat or substitute pork, chicken, shredded beef, or ground turkey.
You can add a bit more water to thin the sauce if it is thicker than you’d like.
It’s even better reheated the next day!